July 15, 2024

What To Do If…

Ever been in a situation and wonder what to do if? Then we may be able to help.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate Brownies

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate Brownies?

What Happens if My Dog Eats a Chocolate Brownie?

Dogs can be poisoned by chocolate, and if there is too much chocolate in them, it can lead to serious problems. It doesn’t necessarily mean a dog will die if it eats chocolate. There are many cases of chocolate poisoning that don’t result in a fatal outcome for our canine companions.

To learn what happens to dogs when chocolate is consumed, it’s important to know how chocolate poisoning affects them. Also, it’s important to know what steps to take if your pup eats anything with chocolate in it, such as a brownie.

Dogs should not eat chocolate because cocoa (the base of chocolate) contains theobromine and caffeine. These substances are highly toxic to dogs, known as methylxanthines, and cannot be metabolized by them like humans can. The combination of these ingredients can be toxic to your dog.

How Much Chocolate Is in a Brownie?

Brownies should be avoided if your dog consumes them. 

The brownies should be especially tasty if they contain chocolate. How concerned you should be will also depend on the type of brownie they are.

In most brownie mixes, there isn’t a great deal of chocolate. However, if you added chocolate chunks or chocolate chips, for example, then the mix might become extremely dangerous.

Related Posts:

What To Do If Your Dog Bites Someone

What To Do If A Dog Bites You

Theobromine and caffeine are two compounds found in chocolate, and together they are called methylxanthines. Dogs who are subjected to chocolate toxicity are damaged neurologically and cardiovascularly.

The content of theobromine increases with the bitterness and darkness of the chocolate.

As a result, you need to identify what type and quantity of chocolate your dog consumed. A candy wrapper often contains this information, as well as the weight of your dog.

There are different amounts of theobromine in different types of chocolate.

It is a general rule of thumb, however, that the greater the amount of cocoa solids in a product, the greater the amount of theobromine present, and the more dangerous it is for your friend.

In contrast to most other types of chocolate or white chocolate, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and baker’s chocolate are highly toxic to dogs.

Depending on how much chocolate your dog ingested, it may or may not require medical attention, but it is recommended to induce vomiting with activated charcoal to prevent further absorption.

If a dog has already displayed symptoms such as diarrhea or vomiting, subcutaneous fluids are given to flush the kidneys and keep them hydrated. It is also possible to treat a dog’s nausea at home with anti-nausea medications.

You should take your pet to the hospital if they have ingested large amounts of chocolate or are showing more severe symptoms.

Activated charcoal and IV fluids will be given in multiple doses, and their heart rate and rhythm will be monitored. Beta blocks may also be administered.

Generally, pets do well if their owners are diligent about treating them and notice symptoms as soon as chocolate is consumed.

Should I Make My Dog Throw Up if He Ate Chocolate?

It is critical to get your dog or puppy to the vet as soon as possible if they have consumed chocolate. Chocolate poisoning does not have an antidote. The veterinarian provides supportive treatment for the affected dogs in order to prevent further poisoning and accelerate elimination, in addition to symptomatic treatment.

Related Posts:

What To Do If Your Dog Dies At Home

What To Do If Your Dog Has Fleas

The veterinarian may choose to induce vomiting if the animal just ate chocolate. Activated charcoal may be administered if a significant amount of time has passed since the puppy consumed the theobromine.Fluid therapy is administered to treat signs of shock, while medications are used to treat heart rate irregularities, vomiting, and diarrhea specifically.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate Brownies? 

Step #1: Keep the Brownies away from the Dog

Stop the dog from eating more brownies by moving them to a safe place. While you sort out the mess and clean up the area, you may need to put your pup in a secure place or lock them away.

Step #2: Determine How Much Chocolate Brownies Was Consumed

Figure out how many brownies the dog ate, the type of chocolate he ate, and how much chocolate was in each brownie. Check the packaging for the percentage of total cocoa solids. A chocolate toxicity calculator can also help you determine how concerned you need to be as a pet parent.

Step #3: Call Your Veterinarian

If your pet ate a lot of chocolate or a non-chocolate chocolate, you may wish to call the Pet Poison Helpline for advice. Find out what to do next from them.

How Can You Tell if Your Dog Has Chocolate Poisoning?

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning usually begin to appear six to twelve hours after ingestion. While most dogs will recover within 24 to 48 hours (mostly), they may experience symptoms for up to 72 hours, in extreme cases.

Cocoa seeds are roasted and then ground into chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical related to caffeine. Due to their inability to metabolize theobromine as quickly as humans, dogs are toxic to this compound. Having too much chocolate affects a dog’s nervous and cardiovascular systems, causing hyperactivity and a rapid heartbeat, among other symptoms.

The question of how much chocolate can kill a dog is often asked by dog owners. Theobromine (the toxin found in chocolate) delivers symptoms of poisoning to dogs when they eat twenty milligrams of it for every kilogram they weigh. When the dose is between 40 and 50mg per kg, these symptoms become severe.

In addition to its diuretic effect, the compound also relaxes the muscles of the bladder, leading to excessive urination in poisoned pets. In addition, chocolate poisoning can cause puppies to drool, act thirsty, vomit or have bouts of diarrhea. Even if the pup did not ingest life-threatening amounts of chocolate, diarrhea and vomiting can leave you with messes to clean.

How Long Does It Take for Chocolate to Get Out of a Dog’s System?

A dog’s serum levels of caffeine reach their peak within 30-60 minutes and they eliminate half of an ingested dose in 4.5 hours, but their serum levels of theobromine reach their peak after 10 hours and they take 17.5 hours to eliminate half of it.

Chocolate poisoning can take up to 72 hours for your dog to show symptoms.

Do not wait until your dog shows symptoms if you know he has eaten chocolate. Preventing your dog from feeling sick is best.

Key Takeaways

Brownies contain chocolate. Just like milk chocolate and candy bars, chocolate cake and dark chocolate ice cream, dog eating chocolate can pose a serious health risk. If a dog ate brownies, it is best to know how much chocolate or baking chocolate was used in the recipe. The amount of chocolate consumed as well as the dog’s body weight can determine how toxic the chocolate consumed was for the dog.

In any case of dog chocolate consumption, regardless of type of chocolate and dog’s weight, make sure to seek help form a veterinarian. Do not wait for your dog to show signs and symptoms of poisoning before taking action.